EVents 2008 01 08
Join us at our SEVA Meetings
Unless otherwise posted here, or sent out over the SEVA Maillist each Monthly Meeting is Held on the Evening of the Second Tuesday of each Month commencing at 7 p.m. or there about. Meetings are held at the Church of the Nazarene at 44th St. NE, and 3rd Ave NE, just behind Dicks Drive In on 45th. Their fire damage has been repaired, and they welcome us back. We encourage visitors and members to help support this free venue with the purchase of some fine coffee and other refreshments downstairs at the Mosaic Community Coffee House.
January 8th 2008 Meeting
It was the coldest of evenings …It was the warmest of Evenings.
Over 50 folks showed up to discuss New Supplemental Dues Structures, How to put an electric heater into an existing Heater Core, NEDRA News, Long Distant EV Rally plans, Wording of a General letter to the Wa. State Dept of Ecology, on the Washington Master Plan to lower Green House Gasses, and much more.
The letter I plan to send points to a half a dozen points WE would like to see in the plan… Tax Breaks for ALL kinds of EVs, from Factory, to Home Conversions, from Water Craft, to Scooters, From PHEV’s to NEV’s and to give breaks to building charging stations, and to allow pure EV’s and high mileage Hybrids and PHEV’s into the HOV lanes any time, any passenger count ( as many states do already). But more important than ONE letter on SEVA letterhead, was my suggestion that WE ALL write. Their Web site is:
OR a snail mail address of:
Department of Ecology Attn: Climate Comments PO Box 47600 Olympia, WA 98504
Dave Cloud fleshed out some of his thoughts on a plan he has for a Long Distance EV Rally come April or May. A few comments have floated back about the complexity, that is to say all the different types of cars, and 3 wheelers, and how to measure all of them. ( my two cents… thinks there should be a Sub-Committee to work out all of the details) Dave went on to show us how he inserts a ceramic electric heater element into an existing heater core from one of his conversions. Not easy, but when it is all done, very smooth (and warm)
Several ideas were kicked round about supplemental dues, over and above the small “trust account” that our Parent EAA keeps in our name from the $39. EAA Dues. The pay back is reeeely slooooowwww… One idea was just to charge ourselves say $15. a year. Another one was to Pass the Hat at each meeting and also have a drawing for those who contribute and give them back a percentage of the Take. I kind of like that. Say we collect $42. and we hand out tickets, and the winner gets to keep 25%. And the treasury keeps the other 75%. Not bad.
There have been rumors about the BIG Shake UP at Tesla. The folks who have been coming to the meetings who have a Tesla Roadster ON ORDER, are still confident that they will some day, perhaps late 2008, receive their car..
We DO have a SEVA invitation to have a booth, and a car or three at the UW HUB on Jan 31. Also there is a seminar that evening with our friends Jay Inslee, Ron Sims and the Lord Mayor of Seattle.
On an un-related subject, not yet discussed at the meetings, but a lot of Band Width on our SEVA e-mail list is the REAL world efficiency and economic viability of Plug-In Hybrids, and BEV’s be they modified Prius or Factory built.
I think we should all be aware Not to over sell Electric’s to folks, in any way. For 25 years I have told folks that if one is trying to Save Money by building a Conversion EV or more recently, Convert a Prius to PHEV, not …I REPEAT Not to mislead people. If you factor in the cost of battery replacement, at today’s prices, there is no way that one can recoup the cost. Mater of fact, there can be made the case, that if you factor in batteries, you can never reach the “100 mpg” you see on the side of many Priiii.
That being said, there is still the “Green Grin” or “EV Grin” and the fact that using Seattle City Light or Puget Power to move the car down the road, is better for the Planet than OPEC. But don’t forget, when you take a PHEV for a LONG trip, all advantages of carrying round 1000 lbs of batteries goes away… sorry….
As always… If I have over looked an important item, our Web Site can be added to, or edited, or modified by any one checking in….
Looks like the NEXT meeting, Feb. 12th, will again be at the Mosaic Coffee House, although we have contacts for other venues.