Production BEVs like the GM EV1 and Chevrolet S10 EV, Chrysler TEVan, Honda EV Plus, Ford Ranger EV, Nissan Altra, Toyota RAV4 EV, and Solectria Force have been made available to the consumer market in very limited quantities and locations. Even though all were placed very few were ever actually for sale, and so it's very unfair to say that there is no market. They would be cost competitive if put into mass production, and they have been cheap to maintain and operate with as little as 7 moving parts in the electric power train. Just imagine no oil to change, no filters, no spark plugs. A number of Rav4-EVs have over 100,000 miles on their NiMH battery packs, which are also used in current hybrids. They may be unavailable because they are too good, since their range of about 150 miles was as good as the best of HFCV (hydrogen fuel cell vehicles) and today their range can be comparable to gas cars. HFCVs have about 7 very costly fuel stations, yet EVs already have a worldwide refueling infrastructure with outlets at every gas station and garage. Today EV's make good sense for the Consumer, Environmental, and Energy Conservation stand points, but perhaps not from the short term manufacturer, dealer, and oil producer standpoints. We are all going to have to Demand that they make these cars and trucks available instead of waiting yet another 30 years for HFCV's.
 Modern Production BEVs
All of these from the major manufacturers are no longer in production, many have been destroyed for some reason, but some can still be seen in the wild... Your best bet it to look into those from the startups.
 Available Vehicles
- Chevrolet Spark
- Chevrolet Volt
- Fiat 500e
- Fisker Karma
- Ford Focus EV
- Mitsubishi i-MiEV
- Nissan Leaf
- Tesla Model S
- Tesla Roadster
- Toyota Plug-In Prius
- 2013 Toyota RAV4 EV
 Major Auto Manufacturers ( no longer in production )
- GM EV1 (Several hundred produced for lease only, all recovered, most destroyed)
- Chevrolet S10 EV (Some sold to fleets, available on secondary market as refurbished vehicles)
- Chrysler TEVan (1993-1995) and Second Generation EPIC (1998-200?)
- Ford Ranger EV (1998-2003, some sold, most leased and recovered and destroyed)
- Honda EV Plus (Several hundred produced for lease only, all recovered, most destroyed)
- Toyota RAV4 EV (Rare, Some leased and sold, out of production, supported)
- Solectria Force
- Nissan Altra
- Nissan Hypermini
- Think City
 Available / Low Volume / Prototypes / Startups / Planned or in Production
- Efficient Drivetrains Inc PHEV Truck Prototype The world's first Parallel-Series-Electric PHEV powertrain system.
- Phoenix Motorcars - Truck, SUV, and '37 Ford Cabriolet Coupe replica
- Tango - Sports Car - Ultra Narrow - Based in Spokane, Wa
- tzero - Sports Car - range extending trailer
- Venturi Fetish - Sports Car
- Wrightspeed - Sports Car
- XS200 electric vehicle
- Subaru R1e and Subaru G4e
- Myers Motors NmG formerly called the Sparrow by Corbin Motors
- Eliica - Exotic Lithium powered Sports Car / Limo
- Arcimoto Pulse - Reverse trike prototype
- 2008.03.18 - cnet.com - 100-year-old electric car to go into production again The Detroit Electric
- JayLenosGarage - video of an Original
- Trinity PHEV, Sequoia PHEV and Coulomb PHEV prototypes produced by Dr. Andy Frank and Team Fate at UC Davis.
 More vehicles that don't have local pages yet.
- 2007.12.07 - engadget.com - Smith brings "world's largest all-electric truck" to the US
- 2007.12.11 - autobloggreen.com - EVS23: The green machine - Smith Electric Truck comes to America
- 2007.10.11 - autobloggreen.com - Aptera launch Nissan concepts
- YouTube Aptera videos
- 2007.12.21 - popularmechanics.com - Aptera's Super-MPG Electric Typ-1 e: Exclusive Video Test Drive - PM hits the streets and gets looked at more than ever before, then heads to the shop for first-look details on a futuristic car so efficient it’ll make your jaw drop. The good news? It’s coming next year.
- Gaia Transport The Pod One plug-in hybrid sports car
- Mitsubishi i MiEV SPORT 
- Electrovaya Maya-100 2005.10.25
- Hybrid Technologies LiX-75  Lithium based $125,000 supercar, 200mph top end.
- Miles Automotive - enters the race.
 NEV ( Neighborhood Electric Vehicles / Low speed )
- bugev.net An enclosed 3-wheeled electric vehicle
- http://sunnev.com - lightweight from scratch high school PV NEV project.
- Tara Tiny
- http://www.spark-ev.com mostly NEVs with plans for high speed vehicles.
- Electrovaya Maya 300 Lithium Ion Powered
- Green Vehicles Cool new company promising a complete line of lithium ion powered vehicles
- 2008.04.26 - autobloggreen.com - VIDEO: New Triac highway speed electric car available now?
- Zap makers of EVs such as the Xebra.
- Green Vehicles - 3-wheel, 80mph, 100-120mi range commuter car
 Motorcycles and Large Scooters
- 2006.11.21 - motoring.co.za - Vectrix Maxi: two wheels green
- 2007.07.31 - king5.com - Kirkland man leads way with innovative scootervideo
- 2007.12.29 - motoring.co.za - Vectrix unveils first electric superbikew/video, 240V 60kW PM BL DC motor with peak 102Nm, 7.5kW/hour 64kg (141lb) Li-ion battery, total weight 204kg (450lb), Range: 124miles@24mph, 62miles@50mph, 43miles@75mph, top speed of 200km/h (124mph).
- http://www.tlb.org/scooter.html - Build a Segway like scooter.
- 2007.07.01 - Shazam! It's Lightning's marvelous superbike Machine was wrenched and yanked from Yamaha's R1
- Sound Speed Scooters selling EVT Electric Scooters and performing conversions in the Fremont neighbourhood of Seattle
Local (Puget Sound area) Ebike clubs:
- Northwest Electric Bicycle Network
- Energy Transitions NW
- Energy Transitions E-Bike Blog
- Good Explanation of Benefits of E-Bikes
- All About Hub Motors
- E-Bikes Use Less Energy Than Human Powered Bikes
- Torque of Geared vs Un-geared Hub Motors
Local ebike retailers:
 See also
- Comprehensive list of EVs on the way by Plug-in America
- Wikipedia:List of production battery electric vehicles
- WikiPedia:Battery electric vehicle - electric automobiles specifically
- WikiPedia:Electric vehicle - broader electric transportation
- WikiPedia:Category:Production electric vehicles Articles about production electric vehicles
 See Also
- WikiPedia:Battery electric vehicle
- WikiPedia:Electric vehicle
- evdl - Looking for info about production EVs
- http://ev.inel.gov/fsev.shtml - The Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity (AVTA) tested many full size electric cars in the 1990's. The results for baseline testing and fleet evaluation are reported.
- http://www.carlist.com/autonews/2005/autonews_186.html - more production EVs
- 2008.04.09 - solveclimate.com - Deutsche Bank: Electric Cars Could Wipe Gas Cars off the Map
- 2007.09.07 - US special forces buy electric stealth golf carts
- 2007.08.14 - NPR Morning Edition - Better Batteries Could Make Electric Cars Attractive
- 2005.09.23 - International Herald Tribune Electric cars still showing a pulse
- 2005.09.23 - jalopnik.com - Subaru Parent Sets Timeline for Electric-Car Development
- car.co.nz More details about the Subaru BEV
- 2005.08.31 - kansas.com - Toyota will let drivers keep their electric vehicles
- 2005.08.24 - scoop.co.nz - The MIEV (at under $US 18,000) promises to be a welcome relief for motorists and is expected to arrive up to two years earlier than Japanese rival Subaru’s electric minicar.
- 2005.08.21 - mitsubishi-motors.com Mitsubishi Motors to drive forward development of next-generation EVs Images
- Lancer Evolution MIEV with all wheel electric motors
- 2005.08.20 - cbsnews.com MOVIE Hybrids Getting Amped Up
- With gas prices soaring, even hybrid car owners are thinking of creative ways to cut on gas use. Bill Whitaker reports how they are suping-up their energy efficient cars with electricity.
- 2005.08.19 - japantoday.com Fuji Heavy unveils electric car that uses lithium-ion battery
- 2005.08.19 - edmunds.com The Electric Car's Not Dead; Asian Companies Strive for Breakthrough
- 2005.08.12 - autoweek.com autoweek.com Experts say electric cars should be part of research plans for automakers
- "That's the advice of a panel of technical experts representing the National Academy of Sciences. They say government and industry researchers should examine battery electric vehicles as an alternative to cars and trucks powered by hydrogen fuel cells." -
- 2005.08.15 - ktla.trb.com Still Plugging Along The EV1 Waiting List, 5000 or 50?
- 2005.02.25 - H2 Can't Compete with Ev's Hybrids
- This is an excellent article "Hydrogen economy: energy and economic black hole" with many good references, percentages and information on H2 & fool cells. Good info for arguing the H2 vs EV's/hybrids efficiencies. I love the line (after multiplying all the inefficiencies) "If you don't understand this (hydrogen) concept, please mail me ten dollars and I'll send you a dollar".
- Toyota - Hybrids or Hydrogen? - "The lower efficiency of hydrogen production compared to gasoline brings the well-to-wheel efficiency of FCVs below that of hybrids."