New Electric Vehicles (book)
 Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Why the Electric Vehicle? The different types of electric vehicles and their efficiency compared to gas-powered cars, energy sources of EVs, and the politics of oil.
- Chapter 2: The EV Conversion. Considerations which go into converting a gas-powered car into an EV. The question of whether to convert or to scratchbuild. Conversion plans and kits.
- Chapter 3: The Scratchbuilt EV. A discussion of the considerations and requirements, including aptitude and experience, required to build your own EV. Also discusses design and legal aspects of the home-built EV.
- Chapter 4: Human & Electric Vehicles. HPVs (Human-powered vehicles), electric bikes, electric-assist bikes (EABs), and electric motorcycles.
- Chapter 5: Solar-Powered Vehicles. The world of solar cars. How they work. Designing and racing a solar powered car. Also electric powered water and air craft.
- Chapter 6: Infrastructure, Energy, & Fuels. Methods of charging the EV, including battery exchange technologies. Energy sources for an EV world. The hybrid EV.
- Chapter 7: Inside the Electric Vehicle. Discusses the major components of an electric vehicle: the electric motor, the batteries, the charger, and the controller and their function in the EV. Also discusses four major categories of support hardware for the EV system: interface hardware (such as the adaptor plate), control and safety circuits, monitoring devices, and auxilliary loads.
- Chapter 8: Find, Fit, Use, & Maintain. Selecting, installing, and operating the electric motor. Battery types, installation, operation, and maintenance.
- Chapter 9: Getting Back on Track. Transportation alternatives, including buses, rail, the Neighborhood EV, and human-powered transportation.