All of the OEM Replacement portable units and permanent home installation units appear to cost well over $1000. So I decided to look into other options such as building my own. I found the http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/ project and decided it was my best option.
At this point I have built one of three units. The page for my particular OpenEVSE build can be found at EVSE_by_4Dolio along with various other peoples builds. This is an auto-sensing Level 1 & Level 2 J1772 EVSE compliant charging solution with GFI protection. It uses Open Hardware and Software so it can be built to suit whatever ones needs are. The current limits are programmable but default to 12A at Level 1 and 16A at Level 2. My unit is built with 30A components so I will eventually increase the level 2 limit to 24A. I have yet to add true energy monitoring but intend to add that feature in the form of current measurement, reporting, and perhaps logging. Stay tuned as the project progresses...
- When assembling the display be aware of how stand offs will attach.
- 10AWG wire is difficult to attach to terminal blocks when the block is mounted inside the enclosure, but easy to attach while the terminal block itself is not yet mounted in the enclosure.
- Devise a better crimp on terminal block connector than those used.
- The L6-30 Extension cable is cut in half. The plug end used with the Open-EVSE. A 110vac plug is added to the receptical end of the L6 cable for use as an adapter cable for 110vac Level 1 use. (If desired)
- I tinned (with solder) the ends of the wires that attach to the Open-EVSE so to keep them from fraying when attached to the screw terminals. Note that depending on the wire gauge used one may need to remove some strands to keep the tinned wire small enough to fit. None of these carry high power so small gauge wires can be used.
- I did not solder the internal high power AC connections but rather left them as blade connections. I am not certain of these connections current carrying capacity and am open to comments and input on whether these should be changed. I chose not to solder them as I may want to modify things inside this Enclosure #1 which I am using for development purposes. The other terminal block connections are more than capable of carrying the potentially high currents.
Key: Items with letters in the quantity field have multiple options:
- e = Various enclosures.
- f = Various fuse/breaker options
- d = Only needed if adding a display
|Open EVSE Plus Board w/ integrated power supply||Open EVSE||$150.00||1||http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/Ordering|
|J-1772 cable, 30 amps (A3435-PEV)||Leviton||$133.98||1||http://store.leviton.com/b/5742800011 +$12.19 shipping|
|30A AC Plug L6-30||Stay Online||$33.00||1||http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=15695 Good for the plug and an adapter cable|
|RELAY GEN PURPOSE DPST 30A 12V (PB486-ND)||Digikey||$13.03||1||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/T92P7D22-12/PB486-ND/365921|
|TRANSFORMER GROUND FAULT WIRE LD (582-1018-ND)||Digikey||$10.65||1||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CR8420-1000-G/582-1018-ND/1045174|
|BOX NEMA ECONOMY 5.9X5.9X3.54 (377-1787-ND)||Digikey||$20.62||1e||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/NBF-32210/377-1787-ND/2328559|
|PANEL INTERNAL 4.9" X 4.9" (377-1939-ND)||Digikey||$4.80||1e||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/NBX-10984/377-1939-ND/439528|
|BOX ABS 7.62X4.47X2.47" TR BL (HM1056-ND)||Digikey||$9.35||1e||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/1591XXETBU/HM1056-ND/2094794 Alternate Enclosure 6.0x3.3x2.0 $7.23 4.8x2.6x1.6 $5.40|
|2" plastic 4-40 M-F standoffs (4813K-ND)||Digikey||$0.63||8||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/4813/4813K-ND/255350 7/16"|
|Terminal Blocks - Barrier Blocks||Digikey||~$5.00||2||euro 4x 30A 10-18AWG $1.77 euro 4x 30A 10-18AWG $1.49 euro 3x 30A 10-18AWG $1.31 |
|FUSEHOLDER 1/4" 30A 250V PNL MNT (283-2850-ND)||Digikey||$3.69||2f||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BK%2FHKP-R/283-2850-ND/1024094|
|FUSE BLOCK 3AG 1POS SOLDER (F1497-ND)||Digikey||$1.13||2f||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/03540001ZXGY/F1497-ND/553961|
|FUSE 250V SLO-BLO 3AB 30A (F1779-ND)||Digikey||$1.68||2f||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0326030.MXP/F1779-ND/778640|
|CIR BRKR THRM 30A PUSH-RESET (302-1268-ND)||Digikey||$5.37||2f||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/1658-G21-01-P10-30A/302-1268-ND/659615 Replaces Fuses|
|CONN TERMINAL STRIP 4CIRC 10MM (WM15910-ND) 10-18WG||Digikey||$1.77||2c||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/39100-1004/WM15910-ND/809417|
|CONN TERMINAL STRIP 4CIRC 12MM (WM7725-ND) 8-20AWG||Digikey||$1.94||2c||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/39100-1204/WM7725-ND/1280576|
|STANDOFF M/F HEX 4-40 NYL .250"L (4800K-ND)||Digikey||$0.397||8(10)||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/4800/4800K-ND/255337|
|STANDOFF M/F HEX 4-40 NYL .500"L (4802K-ND)||Digikey||$0.442||0|
|STANDOFF M/F HEX 4-40 NYL 1.00"L (4806-ND)||Digikey||$0.476||0||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/4806/4806K-ND/255343|
|STANDOFF M/F HEX 4-40 NYL 2.00"L (4813K-ND)||Digikey||$0.528||4(10)||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/4813/4813K-ND/255350|
|HEX NUT 1/4" 4-40 100/PK (H216-ND)||Digikey||$0.0149||100||http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/HNZ%20440/H216-ND/5738|
|MACHINE SCREW PAN PHILLIPS 4-40 (H542-ND)||Digikey||$0.0886||100||http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?keywords=NY+PMS+440+0025+PH|
|AdaFruit RGB LCD Shield kit||AdaFruit||$24.95||1d||http://adafruit.com/products/714 or http://adafruit.com/products/716|
|Premium Female/Female Jumper Wires - 40 x 6"||AdaFruit||$6.95||1d||https://www.adafruit.com/products/266 (Handy if adding a display)|
|Liquid Tight Strain Relief||Alliedelec||$3.20||2||11-21 mm or 14-25 mm or 14-25 mm black|
|Nut for Strain Reliev||Alliedelec||$0.68||2||PG-29 Nut Grey or PG-29 Nut Black|
|Shipping costs DigiKey, AdaFruit, StayOnline||~$25.00||1|
|Crimp Connectors/PCB connectors||various||~$10.00||1|
|Hardware (nuts & bolts)||various||~$5.00||1|
|USBtinyISP AVR Programmer Kit-USB SpokePOV Dongle||AdaFruit||$22.00||?||http://www.adafruit.com/products/46 (Optional)|
Parts for 1 to 3+ builds
- $150.00 - OpenEVSE 1x v4 plus
- $293.42 - leviton.com - 2x 30 Amp J1772 Connector with 25 Ft. Cord
- $ 80.64 - stayonline.com - 2x L6-30 Cord 6 Feet
- $188.00 - digikey.com - Relays, Breakers, Current Sensors, Enclosures
- $25.00 - adafruit.com - 1x RGB LCD Shield Kit w/ 16x2 Character Display
- $ 36.30 - alliedelec.com - 4x Strain Relief, 10x Nuts
- $ 73.04 - digikey.com - Stand Offs, Screws, Nuts, Terminal Blocks
- $853.96 - Total
- $50.00 - adafruit.com - 2x RGB LCD Shield Kit w/ 16x2 Character Display
- $300.00 - OpenEVSE 2x v4 plus
- $150.00 - leviton.com - 1x 30 Amp J1772 Connector with 25 Ft. Cord
- $ 40.00 - stayonline.com - 1x L6-30 Cord 6 Feet
- $1393.96 - Total including Remaining parts for 3 units (464.65 each)
Build Photos of Enclosure 1
Build Photos of Enclosure 2
Build Photos of Enclosure 3
Photos related to the enclosures, high power garage wiring.