Difference between revisions of "EVents 2005 09 13"
m (EVents 2005 9 13 moved to EVents 2005 09 13)
Latest revision as of 04:36, 31 January 2006
Join us at our SEVA Meetings
Unless otherwise posted here, or sent out over the SEVA Maillist each Monthly Meeting is Held on the Evening of the Second Tuesday of each Month commencing at 7 p.m. or there about. Meetings are held at the Church of the Nazarene at 44th St. NE, and 3rd Ave NE, just behind Dicks Drive In on 45th. Their fire damage has been repaired, and they welcome us back. We encourage visitors and members to help support this free venue with the purchase of some fine coffee and other refreshments downstairs at the Mosaic Community Coffee House.
September 13th 2005 Minutes
BOY ! What a great meeting. Over 25 folks showed up. 4 or 5 NEW COMERS... which is always GREAT.
Main topics discussed. The Lazy Boy Chair Races, and Woodburn Drags.
Our special guest for the evening, Chuck Lyford and his wife. For decades, Chuck has been involved with most all kind of racing. Airplanes, Hydros, and Auto Road Racing. His Roladex is crammed full of famous people, from astronauts to world land speed record holders. The following clarifications came out of his visit:
- There are so far 7 electric Lazy Boy chairs which will compete.
- The track and Pacific Race Way, will open at 8 am Saturday 9/24/05
- We proceed to the pay gate, Park your vehicle outside the tool Gates, walk to the Ticket Sales building about 300 ft. on the right, Merely tell the attendant folks .."We are with the Chuck Lyford Team..with Race Group ZERROW." That's IT.. Sign a WAIVER, Get a Rist Band, and we are IN FREE. No reasonable limit on our SEVA members or guests.
- Update : (its not on the far left... ) When you aproach the ticket booths, park your car, and walk forward about 300 feet to a small building where tickets are sold. Here you merely STATE " We are with Group "0" Racing with Chuck Lyford Team" You will sign a waiver, get a wrist band, and THAT'S IT ! In FREE. Proceed to the far EAST end of the race course down by the Gas Pumps ( ? ) And that is where the E-Chairs will gather... I will probably be out there round 8:30 am to help folks find there way IN....
- Our part of the full day of auto racing ( over 100 vintage race cars..) will be between 12 noon and 1 pm. The course will be laid out with traffic cones. Each chair will get a practice run, and then a TIMED run through the course, for your score. After that, all the chairs will line up on the Drag Strip for a short Drag-Shoot-Out for MAX acceleration. (Probably an 8th of a mile. ) Then trophies, $1000 in prize money, and a barbecue. Because of the short duration, battery charging will probably not be necessary, but some charging facilities will be available, and some portable generators .
Chucks wife has been very active in fund raising for Children's Hospital in conjunction with their auto racing association. It has brought them TONS of publicity and raised a lot of money for the Hospital AND their club. They suggested we think seriously about a similar alliance. She said she would help us create Fund raising Guild. THEN any EVent we have, the Hospital JUMPS IN with GOBS of Publicity...
Dave Cloud, Father Time, and Roy LeMeure talked about all the racing down at Woodburn and Portland. Dave's Multi-ETek Chopped Geo Metro did very well using very OLD $10. batteries. We will see more of this car.
Roy mentioned a bicycle HUB MOTOR he saw at "Plasma Boy's" house, which propelled a mountain bike to near 40 mph !! We need to know where that comes from... Roy LeMeur sent in an update "The bike was actually propelled closer to 55 mph. We all were yelling "Brakes" at the same time :^D"
If any one has questions about the Chair Races, just call me...
Ryan Fulcher brought a statistical report on how many folks are contacting OUR SEVA WEB Site... I was surprised to know that the monthly average is in the Tens of THOUSANDS !! This is GOOD.
Ken Trough has done a good job of encapsulating the FACTS... I have a bad habit of being too wordy... Here is HIS Outline:
- Electric Lazy-Boy Recliner Races being held on 9/24/05 in Kent, WA.
- The event will be held at Pacific International Raceway. Gates open at 8AM.
- The Electric Lazyboy races will occur during half time of the Sovren Vintage Races that are happening that day. *Participation in the electric lazyboy race gets you free admission to the track. Spectators are charged $8 for admission. $1000 prize purse is up for grabs!!
- Recliners to be no wider than 48” and no longer than 8 feet. Total battery weight is limited to 200 lbs. You should use some kind of chair that looks like a Lazy-Boy Recliner.
- These rules are already being stretched as one competitor is using an ejection seat from a Navy jet!
- Competitors include some famous names in racing.
- Here are a couple of photos:
Also See the 1st Annual Recliner races page.
I am sure our October meeting will again be at Chuck Benson's house. Check our Web Site For Details.