The Seattle Electric Vehicle Association (SEVA) is an all-volunteer group of Seattle-area folks who are passionate about all things having to do with electric cars. Our members run the gamut from brand new Tesla owners to folks who have been converting old gasoline cars since the 1980’s.
We participate in car shows, educational events and political events having to do with electric vehicle legislation. But we mostly get together to have some plain, old fun at our free monthly meetings and by simply driving around on our zero-emission wheels.
SEVA also serves as a gateway to the latest press and information on and about electric vehicles. Jump on in to see what’s happening in the world of electric cars!
Car Shows and “EVents”: Fall 2018
- ONGOING:Tesla Owners Club of the PNW (TOCPNW) has an events calendar up: https://tocpnw.org/events/
Some events are private, but some are open to the public, and in fact some are meant as outreach. Not all are local..
- Nov 10thAuburn Veteran’s Day Parade 11:00 E Street SE Auburn. SEVA Members: Contact Lee Zurligen for more infor leezurligen at gmail doht com
Winter Driving Tips for EVs
It’s that time of year again, when we start getting those panicky calls for help:
“What happened to my electric car — I’m sure in the middle of summer my range was much greater than this! My batteries must be dying*already* or my motor, or something!”
So, let’s go over again all the reasons — some controllable — why electric cars “lose range” in the fall and “lose range”:
1) Tire pressure. Tires represent about 5X more of an electric cars “energy budget” than a gas car — […read more…]
SEVA in the News:
On August 7, 2018, SEVA Members joined Governor Jay Inslee and local dignitaries to open the first DC Fast Charger that was funded with monies from the EV Registration fees paid by Washington State drivers. This money was leveraged 4:1 with private sector investment, and provides both needed additional capacity and some redundancy to bolster the small number of existing DC Fast chargers around Tacoma.
On March 28, 2018, SEVA President Emeritus Steve Lough was interviewed by King 5 about Washington State’s Pay-By-Mile Pilot Program and how that might negatively or positivELY affect the electric vehicles owners.
- On June 18, 2017, The Seattle Times AUTO Section featured a lengthy article called “Batteries Included! Seattle Electric Vehicle Assocation Leads the Charge” (by Tom Voelk)about SEVA’s 37-year history promoting electric vehicles in the Puget Sound Region. Thank you, Tom, and Seattle Times! Click here to read article.
FEDERAL ELECTRIC VEHICLE TAX INCENTIVES For 2019
For TESLA only:
|Federal Tax Credit||For Vehicles Delivered|
|$7500||On or before December 31, 2018|
|$3750||January 1-June 30, 2019|
|$1,875||June 30, 2019-December 31, 2019|
For ALL OTHER electric vehicle brands:
|Federal Tax Credit||For Vehicles Delivered|
|$7500||Until automakers of each separate, respective brand hit the 200,000 unit sales mark. See link below for more info.|
Washington STATE Alternative fuel vehicle sales tax exemption ENDED May 31, 2018
The Department of Revenue has notified the Washington State Auto Dealers Association that the alternative fuel vehicle sales tax exemption will end on May 31. To have received this tax exemption, your vehicle must have been delivered on or before May 31, 2018.
If you are received your vehicle after May 31, 2018, you will be required to pay all applicable sales taxes.
EV News Headlines
- Tesla’s Bug Bounty Grows In Reach And Payout (11/14/2018) - Tesla could pay up to $15,000 to security analysts and/or hackers who help find system vulnerabilities. People worry about new in-car technology and the advent of connected cars. Tesla, being a strong force in this drive, realizes this concern and is pushing forward to assure that its vehicles are “cyber” safe. ...read more
- Kia Sees Profitable Future In Electric Cars (11/13/2018) - Profitability of Kia EVs is within 3 years. According to Autocar, Kia expects that break even on EVs is achievable in Europe within 2-3 years, which would be somewhere near the end of 2021. Currently, the South Korean manufacturer is offering two models: Soul EV and e-Niro. “Making profit out of electric cars ...read more
- GM, Tesla, Nissan & Others Form Coalition To Reform EV Tax Credit (11/13/2018) - Come together, right now, for EVs. Getting the various manufacturers of electric vehicles to agree on something has, in the past, been challenging. A single high-speed charging standard springs to mind. Now, though, it seems there has been a joining of hands on the issue of the federal tax credit. Tesla, ...read more
- Tesla: We Are Improving The Design Of Our Battery Cell (11/13/2018) - Production lines, battery modules and cells are evolving Tesla distinguishes itself from other manufacturers because it constantly upgrades its cars (others apply changes in packages every few years). That same policy Tesla utilizes in other areas like battery production at the Gigafactory. According to Tesla's President of Automotive, Jerome Guillen, production at ...read more
- BBC To Broadcast Formula E Races Live (11/13/2018) - The BBC will screen every race of the 2018/19 Formula E season via its website and TV red button platforms for viewers in the UK. The broadcaster will also show at least one FE race live on one of its network TV channels – BBC One or BBC Two – during ...read more