The Seattle Electric Vehicle Association (SEVA) is an all-volunteer group of Seattle-area folks who are passionate about all things having to do with electric cars. Our members run the gamut from brand new Tesla owners to folks who have been converting old gasoline carssince the 1980’s.
We participate in car shows, educational events and political events having to do with electric vehicle legislation. But we mostly get together to have some plain, old fun at our free monthly meetings and by simply driving around on our zero-emission wheels.
SEVA also serves as a gateway to the latest press and information on and about electric vehicles. Jump on in to see what’s happening in the world of electric cars!
Car Shows and “EVents”: Let the 2018 Season Begin!
We LOVE car shows! It’s the best way to get electric cars out in front of the public and answer questions. Our club members are an enthusiastic bunch who can be found at any one (or all) of these fun, family events:
- ONGOING:Tesla Owners Club of the PNW (TOCPNW) has an events calendar up: https://tocpnw.org/events/
Some events are private, but some are open to the public, and in fact some are meant as outreach. Not all are local.
- March 24th: Electric/Hybrid Vehicle Seminar At Everett Chevrolet (Everett, WA) 11:00 Presentation by SEVA member Mike Fink.
- April 8th: Richland Earth Month EV Discussion & Display (Richland, WA) 1:09-4:00 PM Garrett Brown will discuss present & future of EVs at the Richland Public Library 955 Northgate Drive, Richland.
- April 18th North Seattle Community College Earth Day Timothy.Albertson@
Seattlecolleges.edu is the contact.
- April 18th Bellevue College Earth Day (SEVA Members: contact Stephen Johnsen)
- April 19th: University of Washington: Bothell Campus Earth Day Contact: AGuerrero@uwb.edu
- April 21st: City of Bellevue Earth Day (SEVA Members: contact Jeff Finn)
- April 21st: Whidbey Island Earth Day
- May 6th : TOCPNW Car Show (Ferndale, WA)tocpnw.org/events/
- May 6th: National Drive Electric Week (NDEW) Spring Electric Vehicle Show at TripleXRootbeer (Issaquah , WA) More info at: driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1220 (SEVA Members: contact Phillip Skoog
- June 17th: Fenders of Front Street (Issaquah, WA) Contact Phillip Skoog
- June 17th: Burien Father’s Day Car Show. www.discoverburien.org/events/event/fathers-day-car-show (SEVA Members: Contact Grace Reamer)
- June 22-24: REVolutionss Expo (Salt Spring Island, BC) A fun and entertaining weekend envisioning and experiencing our renewable electric and energy-efficient future http://www.revolutionss.ca
- June 30th: Greenwood Car Show (Seattle, WA) The BIG one with a huge public turnout! (Members: contact Mark Schiller and/or Steve Lough)
- July 14th: “Past Meets Future” at LeMay Auto Museum. (Tacoma, WA) This is a TOCPNW event, but we assume other EVs welcome. Heck, anybody can go to the museum.
- July 28th: Shoreline Solarfest (Shoreline, WA) No fee but they would like you to register at this link
- July 29th:Renton River Days. SEVA is not officially part of it this year but if anyone is interested in coordinating this, contact us.
- Aug 25th: West Seattle Car Show (South Seattle College) Details TBA
- Sept 8th: NDEW Steilacoom (Steilacoom, WA) driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1202
Contact Dick Muri City Capt.
- Sept 8th: NDEW Liberty Lake (Liberty Lake, WA) driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1215 Jorgen Rasmussen City Capt.
- Sep 11th: Bellevue NDEW (Bellevue, WA) driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1267
Contact Jeff Finn City Capt.
- Sep 16th National Drive Electric Week (NDEW) Issaquah (Iss aquah, WA) web page soon
Philip Skoog City Capt.
- Sept 16th: NDEW Ferndale (Ferndale, WA) driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1282
- Sept 22th: Sustainable Ballard Festival (Seattle, WA) www.sustainableballard.org/festival/
- Sept 30th: Snohomish Car Show sponsor is Bickford Ford. Ford EVs and conversions encouraged, lots of categories for prizes see linksnohomishcoc.com/classiccardisplay/
- NDEW Vancover https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1253
- NDEW Walla Walla https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1244
Alternative fuel vehicle sales tax exemption ENDS May 31, 2018
The Department of Revenue has notified the Washington State Auto Dealers Association that the alternative fuel vehicle sales tax exemption will end on May 31. To receive this tax exemption, your vehicle must be delivered on or before May 31, 2018.
The list of qualifying vehicles is available athttp://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/altfuelexemptions.html.
- Only applies to new vehicles.
- Only applies to the first $32,000 of the selling price or total lease payments if the customer leased the vehicle prior to the exemption’s expiration.
- Expires on the last day of the calendar month after the Department of Licensing determines that 7,500 vehicles have qualified for the exemption.
To qualify, a vehicle must:
- Have a base model MSRP under $42,500 and be on the list linked above; and
- Be a passenger car, light duty truck or medium duty passenger vehicles that:
- Is exclusively powered by a clean alternative fuel; OR
- Uses at least one method of propulsion that is capable of being re-energized by an external source of electricity and is capable of traveling at least thirty miles using only battery power.
If you are receiving your vehicle after May 31, 2018, you will be required to pay all applicable sales taxes.
SEVA in the News:
- On Wednesday March 28, 2018, SEVA President Emeritus Steve Lough was interviewed by King 5 about Washington State’s Pay-By-Mile Pilot Program and how that might negatively or positivELY affect the electric vehicles owners.
- On Sunday, June 18, 2017, The Seattle Times AUTO Section featured a lengthy article called “Batteries Included! Seattle Electric Vehicle Assocation Leads the Charge” (by Tom Voelk) about SEVA’s 37-year history promoting electric vehicles in the Puget Sound Region. Thank you, Tom, and Seattle Times! Click here to read article.
EV News Headlines
- Pivot Power to build 2 GW network of batteries and charging stations (5/22/2018) - Pivot Power has unveiled plans to build a 2 GW network of grid-scale batteries and fast charging stations across the UK. The company plans to invest some £1.6 billion to develop 45 sites around the country, installing grid-scale 50 MW batteries at electrical substations. The battery network will store enough electricity ...read more
- Tesla hopes to improve Model 3 braking distance to earn a thumbs-up from Consumer Reports (5/22/2018) - Talk about shortening timelines in the auto industry – when Consumer Reports reported that it had found Model 3's stopping distance to be unacceptably long, Tesla CEO Elon Musk responded within hours, promising to look into the matter and do whatever it takes to improve braking performance. CR announced that it ...read more
- Volvo Unveils Second Electric Truck – FE Electric, It’s Bigger, Badder (5/22/2018) - Volvo Trucks presents its second all-electric truck, the FE Electric, just three weeks after the first one – FL Electric. The new Volvo FE Electric is bigger – designed for heavier city distribution and refuse transport operations – with gross weights of up to 27 tonnes (vs. 16 tonnes in ...read more
- In April, BYD Again Sold Over 13,000 Plug-In Electric Cars In China (5/22/2018) - In April, BYD's plug-in electric car sales amounted to 13,105 In China, which is on par with March. Compared to one year earlier, sales of New Energy Cars increased by 117% and accounted for 36% of total BYD sales. Additionally, BYD delivered 287 Denza BEVs (JV with Daimler). Read Also ...read more
- BP Invests In StoreDot – Firm Promises Charging As Quick As Fueling (5/22/2018) - BP Ventures, the investment arm of the oil major BP, invested $20 million in Israeli-based StoreDot, which promises batteries capable of ultra-fast charging in 5-minutes. StoreDot has been hinting at its breakthrough batteries for several years now (see news from 2015 and from 2017), and finally this year is securing ...read more