The Seattle Electric Vehicle Association (SEVA) is an all-volunteer group of Seattle-area folks who are passionate about all things having to do with electric cars. Our members run the gamut from brand new Tesla owners to folks who have been converting old gasoline cars since the 1980’s.
We participate in car shows, educational events and political events having to do with electric vehicle legislation. But we mostly get together to have some plain, old fun at our free monthly meetings and by simply driving around on our zero-emission wheels.
SEVA also serves as a gateway to the latest press and information on and about electric vehicles. Jump on in to see what’s happening in the world of electric cars!
Car Shows and “EVents”: November-December 2018
- ONGOING:Tesla Owners Club of the PNW (TOCPNW) has an events calendar up: https://tocpnw.org/events/
Some events are private, but some are open to the public, and in fact some are meant as outreach. Not all are local..
Winter Driving Tips for EVs
It’s that time of year again, when we start getting those panicky calls for help:
“What happened to my electric car — I’m sure in the middle of summer my range was much greater than this! My batteries must be dying*already* or my motor, or something!”
So, let’s go over again all the reasons — some controllable — why electric cars “lose range” in the fall and “lose range”:
1) Tire pressure. Tires represent about 5X more of an electric cars “energy budget” than a gas car — […read more…]
SEVA in the News:
On August 7, 2018, SEVA Members joined Governor Jay Inslee and local dignitaries to open the first DC Fast Charger that was funded with monies from the EV Registration fees paid by Washington State drivers. This money was leveraged 4:1 with private sector investment, and provides both needed additional capacity and some redundancy to bolster the small number of existing DC Fast chargers around Tacoma.
On March 28, 2018, SEVA President Emeritus Steve Lough was interviewed by King 5 about Washington State’s Pay-By-Mile Pilot Program and how that might negatively or positivELY affect the electric vehicles owners.
- On June 18, 2017, The Seattle Times AUTO Section featured a lengthy article called “Batteries Included! Seattle Electric Vehicle Assocation Leads the Charge” (by Tom Voelk)about SEVA’s 37-year history promoting electric vehicles in the Puget Sound Region. Thank you, Tom, and Seattle Times! Click here to read article.
FEDERAL ELECTRIC VEHICLE TAX INCENTIVES For 2019
For TESLA only:
|Federal Tax Credit||For Vehicles Delivered|
|$7500||On or before December 31, 2018|
|$3750||January 1-June 30, 2019|
|$1,875||June 30, 2019-December 31, 2019|
For ALL OTHER electric vehicle brands:
|Federal Tax Credit||For Vehicles Delivered|
|$7500||Until automakers of each separate, respective brand hit the 200,000 unit sales mark. See link below for more info.|
Washington STATE Alternative fuel vehicle sales tax exemption ENDED May 31, 2018
The Department of Revenue has notified the Washington State Auto Dealers Association that the alternative fuel vehicle sales tax exemption will end on May 31. To have received this tax exemption, your vehicle must have been delivered on or before May 31, 2018.
If you are received your vehicle after May 31, 2018, you will be required to pay all applicable sales taxes.
EV News Headlines
- Tesla Gigafactory Creates Jobs & Huge Monetary Benefits For Nevada (12/16/2018) - TESLA GIGAFACTORY 1 DELIVERING BIG ECONOMIC BENEFITS TO NEVADA Back in 2014, when Tesla chose Nevada as the site for the unprecedented Gigafactory, the state sweetened the deal with a package of tax abatements worth some $1.3 billion. Naturally, the naysayers nattered about a “government giveaway,” but the incentives came with ...read more
- Check Out The Legendary EV1 At The Tellus Science Museum (12/15/2018) - Kim of Like Tesla visits the Tellus Science Museum in Cartersville, GA In 1990, GM showed off their new Impact electric concept to a glowing reception. The car had a sleek look for the time and the vehicle's performance dispelled any notion that an electric vehicle had to be slow. Later ...read more
- Solaris Receives Order For 21 Electric Buses In Poland (12/15/2018) - Poland already has more than 100 electric buses in service. Poland is one of the top electric bus markets in Europe, and major local manufacturer – Solaris Bus & Coach – just received an order for another 21 EVs for Municipal transport operator MPK in Poznań. So far, Solaris delivered more than ...read more
- Tesla Puts End-Of Year Sales Push Into Max Gear (12/15/2018) - Let's cranks these deliveries up to 11. It's an all-out push to deliver as many Teslas as possible for the cheapest final cost (provided you qualify for the full tax credit) as the year and quarter come to a close. This mainly applies to buyers of the Tesla Model 3, but ...read more
- Nissan ‘No Charge to Charge’ For LEAF Expands To Hawaii (12/15/2018) - 2 years of free charging of the new Nissan LEAF in Hawaii We didn't hear much about the Nissan ‘No Charge to Charge' promotion in the past two years, although it's not only still running but even expanding to Hawaii in partnership with Greenlots, EVgo and Hawaiian electric companies. The “No Charge ...read more