The Seattle Electric Vehicle Association (SEVA) is an all-volunteer group of Seattle-area folks who are passionate about all things having to do with electric cars. Our members run the gamut from brand new Tesla owners to folks who have been converting old gasoline cars since the 1980’s.
We participate in car shows, educational events and political events having to do with electric vehicle legislation. But we mostly get together to have some plain, old fun at our free monthly meetings and by simply driving around on our zero-emission wheels.
SEVA also serves as a gateway to the latest press and information on and about electric vehicles. Jump on in to see what’s happening in the world of electric cars!
- ONGOING:Tesla Owners Club of the PNW (TOCPNW) has an events calendar up: https://tocpnw.org/events/
Some events are private, but some are open to the public, and in fact some are meant as outreach. Not all are local..
- Tuesday, December 11th: ANNUAL SEVA WINTER HOLIDAY PARTY! This year the party will be at our usual meeting place at the Church of the Nazarene, 4401 2nd Ave NE Seattle, WA 98105 (Wallingford- right behind Dick’s Burgers) Pot luck, last names A-M bring a main dish , N-Z bring a side dish or desert.
Winter Driving Tips for EVs
It’s that time of year again, when we start getting those panicky calls for help:
“What happened to my electric car — I’m sure in the middle of summer my range was much greater than this! My batteries must be dying*already* or my motor, or something!”
So, let’s go over again all the reasons — some controllable — why electric cars “lose range” in the fall and “lose range”:
1) Tire pressure. Tires represent about 5X more of an electric cars “energy budget” than a gas car — […read more…]
SEVA in the News:
On August 7, 2018, SEVA Members joined Governor Jay Inslee and local dignitaries to open the first DC Fast Charger that was funded with monies from the EV Registration fees paid by Washington State drivers. This money was leveraged 4:1 with private sector investment, and provides both needed additional capacity and some redundancy to bolster the small number of existing DC Fast chargers around Tacoma.
On March 28, 2018, SEVA President Emeritus Steve Lough was interviewed by King 5 about Washington State’s Pay-By-Mile Pilot Program and how that might negatively or positivELY affect the electric vehicles owners.
- On June 18, 2017, The Seattle Times AUTO Section featured a lengthy article called “Batteries Included! Seattle Electric Vehicle Assocation Leads the Charge” (by Tom Voelk)about SEVA’s 37-year history promoting electric vehicles in the Puget Sound Region. Thank you, Tom, and Seattle Times! Click here to read article.
FEDERAL ELECTRIC VEHICLE TAX INCENTIVES For 2019
For TESLA only:
|Federal Tax Credit||For Vehicles Delivered|
|$7500||On or before December 31, 2018|
|$3750||January 1-June 30, 2019|
|$1,875||June 30, 2019-December 31, 2019|
For ALL OTHER electric vehicle brands:
|Federal Tax Credit||For Vehicles Delivered|
|$7500||Until automakers of each separate, respective brand hit the 200,000 unit sales mark. See link below for more info.|
Washington STATE Alternative fuel vehicle sales tax exemption ENDED May 31, 2018
The Department of Revenue has notified the Washington State Auto Dealers Association that the alternative fuel vehicle sales tax exemption will end on May 31. To have received this tax exemption, your vehicle must have been delivered on or before May 31, 2018.
If you are received your vehicle after May 31, 2018, you will be required to pay all applicable sales taxes.
EV News Headlines
- Meet The Russian Electric Mustang With 840 HP, AWD (12/13/2018) - And … here's another Russian EV taking cues from old-school American iconic cars. As some of you may remember, Russian gun manufacturer Kalashnikov came forth with the prototype of all prototypes. An upcoming electric car with the facade of a vintage American vehicle. Well, that seems to be becoming more popular ...read more
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Versus Ski Freestylers: Video (12/13/2018) - All the traction you're likely to need. The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is a far cry from a one-horse open sleigh. It does, however, appear to do a pretty good job of dashing through the snow. That's an important consideration for many car shoppers in northern climes. Now, the Japanese automaker has ...read more
- Tesla Model 3 Performance With Track Mode: Educational Driver Training (12/13/2018) - This Tesla Model 3 Performance proves its worth. YouTuber Kristy Morgan was able to take her new Tesla Model 3 Performance to Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, California, but there's a catch. She attended an event during which she learned how to drive a car on a closed track. Let's just add ...read more
- BYD Achieves 6th Straight Plug-In Electric Car Sales Record (12/13/2018) - 30,000 sales per month is just around the corner In November, BYD once again set a new monthly sales record of plug-in electric cars in China. In total, 28,793 were sold (about 2,800 more than in October), which is 123% more than a year ago. The pace of growth is astounding. Plug-ins ...read more
- SK Innovation announces new battery manufacturing plant in Georgia (12/13/2018) - Battery developer SK Innovation plans to invest $1.67 billion to build a new EV battery manufacturing plant in Georgia. The new plant will be located in Jackson County, Georgia, and is expected to create more than 2,000 jobs. Construction will occur in two phases, beginning in early 2019. The SK Group already ...read more