The Seattle Electric Vehicle Association (SEVA) is an all-volunteer group of Seattle-area folks who are passionate about all things having to do with electric cars. Our members run the gamut from brand new Tesla owners to folks who have been converting old gasoline carssince the 1980’s.
We participate in car shows, educational events and political events having to do with electric vehicle legislation. But we mostly get together to have some plain, old fun at our free monthly meetings and by simply driving around on our zero-emission wheels.
SEVA also serves as a gateway to the latest press and information on and about electric vehicles. Jump on in to see what’s happening in the world of electric cars!
Car Shows and “EVents”: Let the 2018 Season Begin!
We LOVE car shows! It’s the best way to get electric cars out in front of the public and answer questions. Our club members are an enthusiastic bunch who can be found at any one (or all) of these fun, family events:
- ONGOING:Tesla Owners Club of the PNW (TOCPNW) has an events calendar up: https://tocpnw.org/events/
Some events are private, but some are open to the public, and in fact some are meant as outreach. Not all are local.
- March 24th: Electric/Hybrid Vehicle Seminar At Everett Chevrolet (Everett, WA) 11:00 Presentation by SEVA member Mike Fink.
- April 8th: Richland Earth Month EV Discussion & Display (Richland, WA) 1:09-4:00 PM Garrett Brown will discuss present & future of EVs at the Richland Public Library 955 Northgate Drive, Richland.
- April 18th North Seattle Community College Earth Day Timothy.Albertson@
Seattlecolleges.edu is the contact.
- April 18th Bellevue College Earth Day (SEVA Members: contact Stephen Johnsen)
- April 19th: University of Washington: Bothell Campus Earth Day Contact: AGuerrero@uwb.edu
- April 21st: City of Bellevue Earth Day (SEVA Members: contact Jeff Finn)
- April 21st: Whidbey Island Earth Day
- May 6th : TOCPNW Car Show (Ferndale, WA)tocpnw.org/events/
- May 6th: National Drive Electric Week (NDEW) Spring Electric Vehicle Show at TripleXRootbeer (Issaquah , WA) More info at: driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1220 (SEVA Members: contact Phillip Skoog
- June 17th: Fenders of Front Street (Issaquah, WA) Contact Phillip Skoog
- June 17th: Burien Father’s Day Car Show. www.discoverburien.org/events/event/fathers-day-car-show (SEVA Members: Contact Grace Reamer)
- June 22-24: REVolutionss Expo (Salt Spring Island, BC) A fun and entertaining weekend envisioning and experiencing our renewable electric and energy-efficient future http://www.revolutionss.ca
- June 30th: Greenwood Car Show (Seattle, WA) The BIG one with a huge public turnout! (Members: contact Mark Schiller and/or Steve Lough)
- July 14th: “Past Meets Future” at LeMay Auto Museum. (Tacoma, WA) This is a TOCPNW event, but we assume other EVs welcome. Heck, anybody can go to the museum.
- July 28th: Shoreline Solarfest (Shoreline, WA) No fee but they would like you to register at this link
- July 29th:Renton River Days. SEVA is not officially part of it this year but if anyone is interested in coordinating this, contact us.
- Aug 25th: West Seattle Car Show (South Seattle College) Details TBA
- Sept 8th: NDEW Steilacoom (Steilacoom, WA) driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1202
Contact Dick Muri City Capt.
- Sept 8th: NDEW Liberty Lake (Liberty Lake, WA) driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1215 Jorgen Rasmussen City Capt.
- Sep 11th: Bellevue NDEW (Bellevue, WA) driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1267
Contact Jeff Finn City Capt.
- Sep 16th National Drive Electric Week (NDEW) Issaquah (Iss aquah, WA) web page soon
Philip Skoog City Capt.
- Sept 16th: NDEW Ferndale (Ferndale, WA) driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1282
- Sept 22th: Sustainable Ballard Festival (Seattle, WA) www.sustainableballard.org/festival/
- Sept 30th: Snohomish Car Show sponsor is Bickford Ford. Ford EVs and conversions encouraged, lots of categories for prizes see linksnohomishcoc.com/classiccardisplay/
- NDEW Vancover https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1253
- NDEW Walla Walla https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1244
Alternative fuel vehicle sales tax exemption ENDED May 31, 2018
The Department of Revenue has notified the Washington State Auto Dealers Association that the alternative fuel vehicle sales tax exemption will end on May 31. To have received this tax exemption, your vehicle must have been delivered on or before May 31, 2018.
If you are received your vehicle after May 31, 2018, you will be required to pay all applicable sales taxes.
SEVA in the News:
- On Wednesday March 28, 2018, SEVA President Emeritus Steve Lough was interviewed by King 5 about Washington State’s Pay-By-Mile Pilot Program and how that might negatively or positivELY affect the electric vehicles owners.
- On Sunday, June 18, 2017, The Seattle Times AUTO Section featured a lengthy article called “Batteries Included! Seattle Electric Vehicle Assocation Leads the Charge” (by Tom Voelk) about SEVA’s 37-year history promoting electric vehicles in the Puget Sound Region. Thank you, Tom, and Seattle Times! Click here to read article.
EV News Headlines
- Bloomberg Gives Us The Scoop On Tesla Model 3 Production (7/16/2018) - Let's go for a walk through hell, shall we? Despite it being probably the most heavily scrutinized companies on the planet, the windows into Tesla are rather opaque. Sure, we see official production numbers every quarter and sit in on the automaker's call with analysts (we're looking very much forward ...read more
- Watch Volkswagen I.D. R Dominate Goodwood, Set Electric Car Record (7/16/2018) - The Volkswagen I.D. R Pikes Peak racer did the run in a staggering 43.05 seconds, a new electric car hill climb record Big moves are the norm for Volkswagen these days. As the company tries to clear its name from the dieselgate controversy, more eco-friendly motoring items are starting to ...read more
- Cobalt Crisis May Cause Legacy Automakers To Struggle To Catch Tesla (7/16/2018) - ADVANTAGE TESLA: COBALT COULD BE A STICKING POINT FOR LEGACY AUTOMAKERS Just one word, young man: Cobalt. The silver-gray element (no, it's not actually blue, sorry) is considered a strategic metal, as it's a critical ingredient in products from jet engines to drill bits to (who knew?) EV batteries. Tristan ...read more
- 2019 Nissan LEAF With 60-kWh Battery Test Charges At 102 kW (7/16/2018) - Is this the first time we see what the new, thermally-managed 60-kWh LEAF battery is capable of? EVTEC recently released some images of what it claims to be the 2019 Nissan LEAF charging at a rate of 102 kW. This particular LEAF is reportedly the upcoming and hugely anticipated 60-kWh ...read more
- Watch NIO EP9 Charge Up The Hill At Goodwood (7/16/2018) - And set a record for the fastest road car It was a terrific weekend for fast electric cars. While the Formula E was finishing up its fourth season on the streets of New York City, the Nio EP9 was shocking the crowds at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the ...read more