The Seattle Electric Vehicle Association (SEVA) is an all-volunteer group of Seattle-area folks who are passionate about all things having to do with electric cars. Our members run the gamut from brand new Tesla owners to folks who have been converting old gasoline cars since the 1980’s.
We participate in car shows, educational events and political events having to do with electric vehicle legislation. But we mostly get together to have some plain, old fun at our free monthly meetings and by simply driving around on our zero-emission wheels.
SEVA also serves as a gateway to the latest press and information on and about electric vehicles. Jump on in to see what’s happening in the world of electric cars!
Car Shows and “EVents”: Fall 2018
- ONGOING:Tesla Owners Club of the PNW (TOCPNW) has an events calendar up: https://tocpnw.org/events/
Some events are private, but some are open to the public, and in fact some are meant as outreach. Not all are local..
- Nov 10thAuburn Veteran’s Day Parade 11:00 E Street SE Auburn. SEVA Members: Contact Lee Zurligen for more infor leezurligen at gmail doht com
Winter Driving Tips for EVs
It’s that time of year again, when we start getting those panicky calls for help:
“What happened to my electric car — I’m sure in the middle of summer my range was much greater than this! My batteries must be dying*already* or my motor, or something!”
So, let’s go over again all the reasons — some controllable — why electric cars “lose range” in the fall and “lose range”:
1) Tire pressure. Tires represent about 5X more of an electric cars “energy budget” than a gas car — […read more…]
SEVA in the News:
On August 7, 2018, SEVA Members joined Governor Jay Inslee and local dignitaries to open the first DC Fast Charger that was funded with monies from the EV Registration fees paid by Washington State drivers. This money was leveraged 4:1 with private sector investment, and provides both needed additional capacity and some redundancy to bolster the small number of existing DC Fast chargers around Tacoma.
On March 28, 2018, SEVA President Emeritus Steve Lough was interviewed by King 5 about Washington State’s Pay-By-Mile Pilot Program and how that might negatively or positivELY affect the electric vehicles owners.
- On June 18, 2017, The Seattle Times AUTO Section featured a lengthy article called “Batteries Included! Seattle Electric Vehicle Assocation Leads the Charge” (by Tom Voelk)about SEVA’s 37-year history promoting electric vehicles in the Puget Sound Region. Thank you, Tom, and Seattle Times! Click here to read article.
FEDERAL ELECTRIC VEHICLE TAX INCENTIVES For 2019
For TESLA only:
|Federal Tax Credit||For Vehicles Delivered|
|$7500||On or before December 31, 2018|
|$3750||January 1-June 30, 2019|
|$1,875||June 30, 2019-December 31, 2019|
For ALL OTHER electric vehicle brands:
|Federal Tax Credit||For Vehicles Delivered|
|$7500||Until automakers of each separate, respective brand hit the 200,000 unit sales mark. See link below for more info.|
Washington STATE Alternative fuel vehicle sales tax exemption ENDED May 31, 2018
The Department of Revenue has notified the Washington State Auto Dealers Association that the alternative fuel vehicle sales tax exemption will end on May 31. To have received this tax exemption, your vehicle must have been delivered on or before May 31, 2018.
If you are received your vehicle after May 31, 2018, you will be required to pay all applicable sales taxes.
EV News Headlines
- 27% Of Cars Sold In Iceland In October 2018 Were Plug-Ins (11/16/2018) - Plug-in market share approaching one-third. Iceland again shows that it's the top plug-in market with record market share of 27% in October! Part of the reason behind such a high result is the general decrease of car sales, but anyways, in the first 10 months of 2018. some 18% of cars ...read more
- Watch Tesla Model 3 Performance Lose Control At High Speed (11/16/2018) - This is some seriously scary stuff. Approaching top speed, the Tesla Model 3 loses control and goes into a crazy spin. More Model 3 In Action ...read more
- Take A Look At This Real Kia Niro EV Cutaway (11/16/2018) - Time to reveal some guts! At least in the automotive sense. If you like guts, seeing the insides, and knowing how stuff is really set up and works, this new, short Kia e-Niro video has got you covered. Unless you're a doctor or in training in a related medical field, we ...read more
- Tesla Aims For Model 3 Production At 7,000 Per Week By November 28 (11/16/2018) - Elon Musk will check the production lines personally. Tesla finally is going to increase production of Model 3 to 7,000 per week by the end of November since there's been no major progress from the record of 5,000 in late June. Elon Musk sent an email to employees stating that he will ...read more
- Toyota Corolla Hybrid, Tesla Autopilot safety, Rivian pickup: Today’s Car News (11/16/2018) - Toyota announces it will build a hybrid version of the Corolla. Rivian teases images of its upcoming electric pickup. Mercedes-Benz launches a consumer fuel-cell test fleet. And we crunch the accident-rate numbers on Tesla's Autopilot. All this and more on Green Car Reports. At a California event this week, Toyota ...read more