The Seattle Electric Vehicle Association (SEVA) is an all-volunteer group of Seattle-area folks who are passionate about all things having to do with electric cars. Our members run the gamut from brand new Tesla owners to folks who have been converting old gasoline carssince the 1980’s.
We participate in car shows, educational events and political events having to do with electric vehicle legislation. But we mostly get together to have some plain, old fun at our free monthly meetings and by simply driving around on our zero-emission wheels.
SEVA also serves as a gateway to the latest press and information on and about electric vehicles. Jump on in to see what’s happening in the world of electric cars!
Car Shows and “EVents”: Let the 2018 Season Begin!
We LOVE car shows! It’s the best way to get electric cars out in front of the public and answer questions. Our club members are an enthusiastic bunch who can be found at any one (or all) of these fun, family events:
- ONGOING:Tesla Owners Club of the PNW (TOCPNW) has an events calendar up: https://tocpnw.org/events/
Some events are private, but some are open to the public, and in fact some are meant as outreach. Not all are local.
- March 24th: Electric/Hybrid Vehicle Seminar At Everett Chevrolet (Everett, WA) 11:00 Presentation by SEVA member Mike Fink.
- April 8th: Richland Earth Month EV Discussion & Display (Richland, WA) 1:09-4:00 PM Garrett Brown will discuss present & future of EVs at the Richland Public Library 955 Northgate Drive, Richland.
- April 18th North Seattle Community College Earth Day Timothy.Albertson@
Seattlecolleges.edu is the contact.
- April 18th Bellevue College Earth Day (SEVA Members: contact Stephen Johnsen)
- April 19th: University of Washington: Bothell Campus Earth Day Contact: AGuerrero@uwb.edu
- April 21st: City of Bellevue Earth Day (SEVA Members: contact Jeff Finn)
- April 21st: Whidbey Island Earth Day
- May 6th : TOCPNW Car Show (Ferndale, WA)tocpnw.org/events/
- May 6th: National Drive Electric Week (NDEW) Spring Electric Vehicle Show at TripleXRootbeer (Issaquah , WA) More info at: driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1220 (SEVA Members: contact Phillip Skoog
- June 17th: Fenders of Front Street (Issaquah, WA) Contact Phillip Skoog
- June 17th: Burien Father’s Day Car Show. www.discoverburien.org/events/event/fathers-day-car-show (SEVA Members: Contact Grace Reamer)
- June 22-24: REVolutionss Expo (Salt Spring Island, BC) A fun and entertaining weekend envisioning and experiencing our renewable electric and energy-efficient future http://www.revolutionss.ca
- June 28th: Greenwood Car Show (Seattle, WA) The BIG one with a huge public turnout! (Members: contact Mark Schiller and/or Steve Lough)
- July 14th: “Past Meets Future” at LeMay Auto Museum. (Tacoma, WA) This is a TOCPNW event, but we assume other EVs welcome. Heck, anybody can go to the museum.
- July 28th: Shoreline Solarfest (Shoreline, WA) No fee but they would like you to register at this link
- July 29th:Renton River Days. SEVA is not officially part of it this year but if anyone is interested in coordinating this, contact us.
- Aug 25th: West Seattle Car Show (South Seattle College) Details TBA
- Sept 8th: NDEW Steilacoom (Steilacoom, WA) driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1202
Contact Dick Muri City Capt.
- Sept 8th: NDEW Liberty Lake (Liberty Lake, WA) driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1215 Jorgen Rasmussen City Capt.
- Sep 11th: Bellevue NDEW (Bellevue, WA) driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1267
Contact Jeff Finn City Capt.
- Sep 16th National Drive Electric Week (NDEW) Issaquah (Iss aquah, WA) web page soon
Philip Skoog City Capt.
- Sept 16th: NDEW Ferndale (Ferndale, WA) driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1282
- Sept 22th: Sustainable Ballard Festival (Seattle, WA) www.sustainableballard.org/festival/
- Sept 30th: Snohomish Car Show sponsor is Bickford Ford. Ford EVs and conversions encouraged, lots of categories for prizes see linksnohomishcoc.com/classiccardisplay/
- NDEW Vancover https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1253
- NDEW Walla Walla https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1244
March 9, 2018: Status on Washington State Sales Tax Exemption for Electric Vehicles
Unfortunately, the legislative session in Olympia concluded last night (3/8/18) without agreement on extending the EV sales tax cap on either the House or Senate version of the bill.
That means the existing exemption will expire when the cap of 7,500 cars is reached. By the end of February, the total cars that had used the exemption was more than 6,700, so we are likely to exceed the limit within the next few months.
You can find details of the existing law and the monthly updates of how many cars are left to qualify at:
SEVA in the News
On Sunday, June 18, 2017, The Seattle Times AUTO Section featured a lengthy article called “Batteries Included! Seattle Electric Vehicle Assocation Leads the Charge” (by Tom Voelk) about SEVA’s 37-year history promoting electric vehicles in the Puget Sound Region. Thank you, Tom, and Seattle Times! Click here to read article.
EV News Headlines
- Mercedes-Benz EQ S Electric Sedan Will Challenge Tesla Model S (4/21/2018) - Perhaps a real Tesla Model S competitor from an established automaker? Too bad we still likely have to wait many more years. Mercedes-Benz is currently in the development stages of the EQ S. It's slated to be a battery-electric full-size, luxury sedan, with sizing and performance consistent with the automaker's ...read more
- IONITY’s First Ultra-Fast Chargers Are Free To Use For Now (4/20/2018) - IONITY launched its first ultra-fast charging station, located on the A61 motorway in Brohltal Ost in Germany. The six-charger-strong stations apparently are capable of supplying up to 150 kW, with a target of 350 kW output in the future. For now, through the end of May, charging is free, but ...read more
- Air Race E Takes Electric Plane Racing To New Heights (4/20/2018) - No rubbing in this racing! As you may have suspected by the number of electric vehicle racing stories we publish, we like us some battery-powered competition here at InsideEVs. Drag racing; Formula E; TT Zero — we watch them all, and thought we'd seen it all. A new series, ...read more
- When Your New Friend Is Old School – Video (4/20/2018) - Electric cars will bring entirely new experiences, even for children. In this video, BMW imagines how children might be affected by the coming of electric cars. Watch More – Dutch BMW i3 Ad Needs No Translation – Video If one kid has a silent electric car, while the other still ...read more
- Meet Emflux One: The Latest Electric Superbike (4/20/2018) - India's Emflux Motors pulls the cover off its new fully-electric superbike model; the ‘Emflux One'. The history of electric sportbikes has been a rocky one to say the least. Mission Motors is dead, and while they both appear to technically be in business, I haven't heard much from the MotoCzysz ...read more