Chevy has announced their next generation EV/PHEV named the Volt which will use their new E-Flex Series Hybrid propulsion system and be based on the Cobalt chassis. The E-Flex system is designed to integrate into their next generation of vehicle platforms due in 2009, and capable of using bio-ethanol, bio-diesel, or HFC technology for the electric generator. The genset in the current Volt concept uses a turbocharged 1-liter, 3-cylinder engine coupled to a 53 kW generator which is capable of maintaining 100mph or delivering about 50mpg at more moderate speeds. The Volt will be a front wheel drive pushed by a 120 kW (160 HP) motor that develops 320 Nm (236 lb-ft) of torque, for a top speed of 120mph and acceleration from 0-60mph in about 8.5 seconds. With it's 16 kWh Li-ion battery pack the Volt will have 40 miles of EV-only range and recharge in about 6 hours at home from a 120vac 15A outlet. The batteries are expected to be kept within a 30% to 80% window much like current hybrids. GM is working with battery makers Cobasys/A123Systems and Johnson Controls/Saft to develop these batteries. The batteries are arranged in a spine down the center of the car's floor much like the GM EV1. With it's twin 6 gallon gas tanks and a full charge the Volt should have a 640 mile range at 70mph consuming about 12.8 gal.
- 2008.03.21 - treehugger.com - GREEN DEETS: Bob Lutz Reveals Chevy Volt First Continental Battery Pack at New York Auto Show
- 2008.03.20 - autobloggreen.com - New York 2008: First "Volt Nation" meeting held Great Videos.
- 2007.12.11 - freep.com - GM creates design studio to work on Volt electric vehicle large photo
- 2007.12.11 - automotiveworld.com - US: GM reveals updated Chevy Volt as electric vehicle design studio opens
- 2007.12.10 - ecogeek.org - First Image of the Real Chevy Volt!
- 2007.12.06 - news.com - Is Tesla going to copy the GM Volt?
- 2007.12.03 - gm-volt.com - A123 Unveils New E-REV Battery Cell for Chevy Volt
- 2007.11.27 - gm-volt.com - GM Q and A
- 2007.11.15 - From LA: The New News About the Volt
- "Apparently GM was sorely disappointed when they put the concept design in the wind tunnel. Bob Lutz joked that it probably would have been more aerodynamic if they’d put it in backwards. So we should expect the production design to be “slipperier.”"
- We've uncovered Secret Spy Photos of what the redesigned aerodynamic Volt will look like.
- 2007.08.30 - The 60,000 Volt Question, GM Could Reportedly Produce 60,000 Plug-in Hybrids in 2010
- 2007.08.09 - reuters.com GM to begin testing Volt electric car by spring, cnn.com
Product chief Bob Lutz says the plug-in vehicle is on track for production in 2010.
- 2007.08.03 - bloomberg.com - Toyota Electric Car May Have Half the Range of GM's (Update4)
- 2007.06.07 - New Batteries Readied for GM's Electric Vehicle
The technologies behind the battery packs for the GM Volt are being tested and could be ready within a year.
- 2007.03.08 - evworld.com A Tale of Two Hybrids
- 2007.01.07 - 16 Points about GM's Long-Awaited Breakthrough PHEVs
- 2007.01.07 - Hybrid cars need to travel farther in electric-only mode, and that means lithium-ion battery technologies have a lot riding on them
- 2007.01.06 - Chevy Volt/Saturn Vue Are Start of Plug-In Hybrid Race--PHEV Concept
- 2007.01.06 - London Times/Times/Detroit News/LA Times/Wired/GreenCarCongress on
- 2007.01.07 - GM unveils electric car
- 2007.01.06 - Volt takes full-electric car concept to next level
- 2007.01.07 - All the Technology Needed for 100 M.P.G. (Batteries Not Included)
- 2007.01.06 - Return trip for electric vehicles Carmakers are set to unveil plans this week. A GM model owes much to the pioneering EV1.
- 2007.01.06 - Chevy Volt Redefines EV
- 2007.01.07 - GM Introduces E-Flex Electric Vehicle System; Chevrolet Volt the First Application
- 2007.01.06 - Detroit Auto Show: It's here. GM's plug-in hybrid is the Chevy Volt Concept
 See Also
- Chevy Volt - Autopedia See the videos.
- Wikipedia:Chevy Volt
- Chevy Volt – bucket loads of deception
- Ad Watch Chevy Gives Kids A Hummer With The Volt Electric Car Volt Ad
- Chevy Volt Google Videos
- Chevy Volt YouTube Videos
- Chevy Volt PodTech.net Videos