- 1 EV Discussion List
- 2 EV Terminology
- 3 EV Performance
- 4 Purchasing Electric Vehicles
- 5 General EV Questions
- 6 Safety
- 7 Building a Conversion
- 8 Transmission & Differential
- 9 Calculations
- 10 Motors
- 11 Batteries
- 12 Controllers
- 13 Battery Chargers
- 14 DC TO DC Converters
- 15 Tires
- 16 Instrumentation
- 17 Brake and Chassis Upgrades
- 18 Power Accessories
- 19 Comfort and Climate Controls
- 20 Hybrids and Range Extenders
- 21 Public Charging Stations
- 22 EVs and pollution
- 23 EV Information Resources
- 24 Parts Sources
- 25 Taxes, Insurance and Registration
These Frequently Asked Questions are maintained by members of the EV Discussion List, a mailing list which provides a forum for discussing the current state of the art and the future direction of electric vehicles. Please address comments and suggestions to the FAQ editor.
EV Discussion List
- What does the term ICE mean?
- What is an electric vehicle (EV)?
- What is a hybrid (HEV)?
- What is an neighborhood electric vehicle (NEV)?
- What is a flooded battery?
- What is a sealed battery?
- What does AGM mean?
- What does VRLA mean?
- What is regen and why is it desirable?
Purchasing Electric Vehicles
- Where can I buy a new EV?
- Where can I buy a used EV?
- How much do they cost (new and used)?
- Should I buy a used EV or build a conversion?
General EV Questions
- What can I do to maximize my range?
- I'm buying a used EV, what do I need to know to use it?
- Can I tow an EV a long distance?
- What are the safety concerns for working with electric vehicles?
- What are the safety protocols for avoiding electrical shock?
- What is a plasma fire? What is the physical mechanism that creates and maintains it? How do you extinguish it?
- What are the safety protocols for avoiding chemical burns?
- What do I do in case of a chemical spill?
- What is the maximum DC voltage that is considered safe to work around?
- What are some tips on short-proofing tools?
- What are the guidelines for working around hydrogen? In other words, if my charger didn't shut off all night and I can hear all the batteries gurgling merrily, how do I not blow up the garage?
- What are the safety protocols for the AC side of the equation when I charge my EV?
- Is it dangerous to have all those batteries in the car?
- What about high voltages?
- What is a GFCI circuit?
- Is splashing water into the engine compartment safe?
- Is it safe to wash the engine compartment at a car wash?
- Are there any special safety features I should include in my conversion?
Building a Conversion
- How can I build a very fast/quick EV?
- How can I build an electric motorcycle?
- How can I build an electric scooter?
- Has anyone converted a lawn mower to electric?
Transmission & Differential
- Can I build an EV with an automatic transmission?
- Why do I need a transmission?
- Should I keep the clutch?
- What are the effects of using one separate motor for each drive wheel? Can I remove the differential to save weight or control the motors to emulate a differential?
- How much power will I need? (Calculating power used to move a car)
- How can I calculate the weight and balance of my conversion project?
- What kind of range can I expect from my conversion?
- What motors are available?
- Which is better, AC or DC motor?
- Can I use a surplus aircraft starter/generator for motor?
- What batteries are available?
- What is the best battery for my EV?
- What is the proper way to maintain batteries? (Cleaning and filling batteries)
- How do I design and build a battery box?
- What is a battery management system?
- What about battery heaters?
- Which is better, flooded or sealed batteries?
- How about Ni-Cad batteries?
- What are the correct charging procedures for a battery?
- My batteries seem weak, how can I correct this?
- How do I determine the battery state of charge?
- What is the proper way to mount and secure batteries?
- Can I mix old and new batteries?
- Can I use two different types or sizes of batteries?
- What is Peukert's Effect, and why should I care?
- What is a controller?
- What controllers are available?
- How does a DC motor controller work?
- How does an AC motor controller work?
- Can I build my own controller?
- Why does my controller whine?
- Can I add regen to my DC EV?
- Do I really need a controller?
- What about voltage switching and resistor controllers?
- Can I build my own charger?
- What is power factor correction in a charger and how is it done?
- How can I quick charge my batteries, will it harm my batteries?
- What are battery regulators and balancers for?
- What do battery regulators do, and how do they do it?
- How do I charge my batteries using a variac?
DC TO DC Converters
- What is a DC to DC converter and why do I need one?
- What DC to DC converters are available?
- Why can't I just tap the battery pack?
- What tires should I buy? ( load ratings and rolling resistance)
- What kind of gauges do I need in my EV?
- How do you connect and program an E-meter?
- What is a battery monitoring system?
Brake and Chassis Upgrades
- How do I restore the ride height of my car?
- What springs should I use?
- [[How can I improve the brakes?]
Comfort and Climate Controls
Hybrids and Range Extenders
- Can I add a small generator? (APUs and generator trailers)
- What is a pusher trailer?
- What is meant by series or parallel hybrid?
- Can I charge my EV with solar power?
- Can I put a generator on the un-driven wheels to charge batteries while driving?
- How about a windmill? (A discussion of basic physics. )
Public Charging Stations
- How can I connect to the EVI/Avcon public chargers?
- Can I plug my home built EV into a GM paddle charger?
- What is Article 625?
- What is opportunity charging?
- What is the best way to get my employer to install charging stations?
EVs and pollution
- Don't EVs just move the pollution somewhere else?
- What about disposing of used batteries?
- I read that EVs use more fuel than ICE cars, is this true?